A Note From Miss Plumcake | Manolo for the Big Girl

A Note From Miss Plumcake

Today is Bastille Day. It is also your pal Plummy’s birthday AND the almost-anniversary of the blog and I’m feeling a bit thoughtful. Not thoughtful in the way that makes me want to do something for other people (ha! can you imagine?! Although I did just put in a load of whites even though the maid will be here at noon. Lovely woman but doesn’t understand the intricacies and nuances of high-octane chlorine bleach) but just general reflections on my life thus far.

It’s not been such a bad life. Oh, I’ve had rotten things happen and made my own fair share of bad decisions, some enjoyable (that midfielder from KV Mechelen who had thighs like two Belgian pythons auditioning for Cirque de Soleil) and some not (that gold toreador outfit in 1999…with bugle beads, oh sweet Lord, the bugle beads) but, to quote Errol Flynn’s famous last words “I’ve had a hell of a lot of fun and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.”

I’ve been incredibly fortunate to write for you bunch of crazy-making nutjobs, and as I sit on the terrace of Villa de Plumcake, drinking tequila out of a hollowed-out avocado (all my cups are dirty and Mila isn’t here yet) and watching a dozen baby dolphins cavort in the waves, I’ve got to think this is about the best job a girl could have.

Well, except as massage therapist for the Spain or Xabi Alonso’s personal chest hair groomer. I would drop you like you were hot if THAT gig came up. Mmm, our time will come, my delicious Basque bonbon. Our time will come.

Okay wait, where was I? Xabi Alonso, tequila in an avocado, dolphins…RIGHT.

Thank you.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to spend the past couple years with you. Some of you followed me from the newspaper, some came along from Manolo, some from my daily life and some from who knows where but I thank you. If I could stand without falling down this cliff into the Pacific I would salute you. As it is I can’t feel my legs so I will raise my avocado to you in salute. Here’s to another great year. Superfantastic!

16 Responses to “A Note From Miss Plumcake”

1. Kim July 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

And thank YOU for that extra dose of Xabi. Yum.

2. Courtney July 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

Happy birthday!

3. Heather-the-Tall-and-Auburn-Tressed July 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

Happy birthday, Plummy! Take some of the avocado that you evicted from its home, spread it on toast, dash of salt and lime, and chase with tequila. Now THAT is a breakfast worthy of Plumcakery.

4. ChaChaHeels July 14, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Happy Birthday, Miss Plumcake!

5. wildflower July 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Oh no! Thank YOU! You’re a fantastically entertaining, informative, and inspirational writer, and despite keeping perfectly to the high consumer standards of the rest of the manolosphere, the big girl blog actually points out the most accessible recommendations of them all, thanks to your assiduously fishing out sales and deep discounts for us. And I love your obvious confidence mixed with your self-deprecating humor! (magpie, deranged guppie, etc, etc)

And happy birthday! I believe we are about the same age. :)

6. Jophiel July 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

Happy birthday, Miss Plumcake. And thank you for gracing us with your distinctive voice and point of view. There’s precious little writing these days that has both.

J.

7. Thea July 14, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Happy Birthday Miss Plumcake,
    and when you wake up on that deck chair tomorrow remember, that mushy avocado on your lap will make a wonderful face mask to combat dehydration

8. Lisa from SoCal July 15, 2011 at 12:39 am #

Many happy returns of the day! But the not bugle beads.

9. mariebruxelles July 15, 2011 at 2:48 am #

Happy belated birthay, Dear Miss Plumcake!
    Our mutual friend is greeting you too: http://img.over-blog.com/493×302/0/38/34/33/zizou4/115.jpg
    Cuddles from Brussels,
    Marie

10. Rebekka July 15, 2011 at 7:46 am #

Happy birthday! Since I’m pregnant you can have my drink.

11. Talbot July 15, 2011 at 9:07 am #

Happy Birthday! I’ve only started reading you recently, and am sad that I’ve missed the fantastic writing and sparkling wit that is guaranteed to make me smile, and think too.

12. wildflower July 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

My earlier comment is somehow under moderation, so let me just say two things: happy birthday, and oh no! Thank YOU!

13. Lili Bitmore July 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

Happy, Lucky Birthday! Happiness to you, La Plum, and happy we the readers and so lucky Xabi locked AND loaded. “Comepletement”
    PS, I am happily rowing my way through the Archives feature, to round out fabulosity. All the best, thank you for much of a muchness.

14. Jelly July 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

I love finding people with the same birthday as me. Happy Birthday Day (belatedly)!

15. dcsurfergirl July 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Party on, Plumcake!

16. Fanni July 27, 2011 at 12:28 am #

I was seriosluy at DefCon 5 until I saw this post.