You Asked For It: Miss Plumcake at Villa Plumcake | Manolo for the Big Girl

You Asked For It: Miss Plumcake at Villa Plumcake

No that's not nipple action, I'm pretty sure I had my keys tucked into my bra. Klassy.Golly! When I updated the Manolo for the Big Girl facebook page (which I SWEAR I’m going to start using again. Scout’s honor) I had no idea I’d get so many messages about my outfit.

Okay, it was more like four, but that’s four more than I expected and because I love to love you babies, I thought I’d do a little featurette for those wanting to reproduce the Miss Plumcake at Villa Plumcake look at home.

I’m not shy by any stretch of the imagination, but I don’t often do this sort of thing. It comes across as a little self-indulgent, even for me.

Also, just in case you were wondering, that’s not weird nipple action, I’m just pretty sure I had my keys in my bra. That’s right mijas,  it’s all glamor at Villa Plumcake.

Here’s how to get the look:

HAT This is the exact hat in the photo, a crushable, abuseable, practically indestructible white fabric and wire sunhat.

I removed the ribbon and adjusted the brim into more of a portrait shape for maximum Joan Collins effect and wore it almost every day.

>SUNGLASSES Admittedly this is a bit of Advanced Fashion as the non-ironic white sunglasses can be difficult to pull off, but I love my mother of pearl Clubmasters (I also have them in a caramel jasper treatment) and really, when one is wearing All White All The Time, darker shades just won’t do. The variations and pearlescence of the frame stop them from looking hipster and land them safely into 1930’s glamor.

JOURNAL My grandmother kept a record of her Grand Tour of Europe, jotted down in a neat little notebook of Moroccan red leather with the most over-the-top rococo gilt swirls embossed along the cover.

Determined to maintain the travelogue tradition, I picked up a small but sturdy handmade leather journal on my first trip across the pond and have used it exclusively for my travel memoirs ever since.

Though the actual journal in the photo is a simple one-off I bought for ₤20 at King’s Cross Station in London, this travel-ready notebook has the same feel.

PEPPER PEN I never went anywhere alone without my pepper spray pen within easy reach, usually tucked into the neckline of my dress.

No one ever questioned why I always wrote with another pen.

It was a handy way to feel safe when I was walking around alone without openly insulting the locals.

BOLERO – I can’t remember where I picked up this Jessica Howard bolero cardigan, but I wish I’d bought a dozen of them.

The Pacific breeze can get a bit nippy and this, alternated with my wrap. kept me nice and snug.

The dress is an inexpensive Mexican-style white cotton sundress with a surplice neck and crocheted lace detailing on the skirt I picked up for almost nothing at Ross and the bra is the original (now discontinued) Lace Plunge from Lane Bryant.

So there you have it: Miss Plumcake at Villa Plumcake.

Add your own oceanfront lovenest, hot Latin footballer, mezcal (no worm, thank you) and shake. Olé!

12 Responses to “You Asked For It: Miss Plumcake at Villa Plumcake”

1. Klee August 24, 2011 at 11:04 am #

You look fab! Love the hair, too.

2. Camo August 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

I was also with a jagged little nipple yesterday due to tucking my keys into my bra when I found myself pocketless while walking my dog.

I love the outfit and your look — I am so tempted to return my black Wayfarers for your MOP Clubmasters. So classic and chic!

3. Miss Plumcake August 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

@Camo: I’m wearing my Clubmasters almost exclusively now. Not that I don’t love my Wayfarers, but it’s nice to get a break. A word of advice: sizing is much more important with Clubmasters than with Wayfarers, so if you can try a pair on in person first, do it.

4. Fellmama August 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Ah, but they haven’t discontinued the Lace Plunge! In fact, they just brought out a half-dozen new colors thereof.

5. MYRTLE August 24, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

gorgeous!

i purchased the MOP clubmasters last year, after you blogged about them. i love them, but to be honest, i haven’t done them justice! i love the photo, it’s inspirational.

6. Miss Plumcake August 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

@Fellmama: Sadly they discontinued the original variety, now they’re all changed and foam-cupped. All wrong for my rack!

7. Jeanine August 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

I’ve been reading this blog for over 2 years….maybe three. I’ve never seen a picture of you before. You are nothing like I thought you would look, but everything I expected.

You are uttlerly exquisite.

I apologize if that comes across as weird or internet stalkerish…I’m not….but it’s true.

8. Miss Plumcake August 24, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

@Jeanine: Thank you, your check for the agreed-upon amount is in the mail.

9. coffeeaddict August 25, 2011 at 4:51 am #

Very suave! The glasses are über cool ;-)

10. Fellmama August 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

@Plumcake: Newp. They did discontinue the Cotton and Smooth Plunge styles and replace those. The Lace Plunge is the same fit (with the pull out air pockets and everything). The foam padding is in the new Cotton Plunges. (Incidentally, they suck. But the new Satin Plunges are, like, my favorite bras now.)

TL;DR: The LB Plunge now comes in three different fits, Lace (the original), Cotton, and Satin.

11. mariebruxelles August 26, 2011 at 6:10 am #

“Quelle belle plante !” as we say in French (i.e. What a beautiful girl/woman!).
    You are gorgeous, my dear Plummie!

12. Ellen W. August 26, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Ah. The fascination Miss Plumcake excerts on the men of the world could be summed up in this one picture I think.

and is Our Plummie rocking a pixie cut?! I didn’t think I could love you more and here! Look! I do.