Where would you go right now? | Manolo for the Big Girl

Where would you go right now?

Is this thing on? Good. I have been having the devil’s own time trying to actually get online and let me tell you friends, it is seriously cutting into my Looking At Footballer Thighs time and also you know, doing my JOB.

Last night my BFF and I went to an “Irish” pub in Arlington, VA called Ri Ra which was the whitest place I’ve been in my life, and I’ve actually BEEN to Ireland. It was okay, but they had Magners/Balmers cider, which my pal loves mightily and is nearly impossible to find on tap in her vicinity.

We were reminiscing about Ireland and how much better everything in the world would be if we shuffled loose the bonds of jobitude and moved there forever, or at least got to go back to our favorite pub. Oh, and while I’m on the subject of Ireland, there is a small, dedicated army of Huffypants who are convinced I don’t like Ireland. I LOVE Ireland and Ireland loved me right back (at this point Meghan just shouted “They sure did girl!” man, those were good times).

So to carry on a theme from Twistie’s question about having unlimited disposable income –btw, getting custom shoes isn’t that expensive if you order them from Argentina– and worrying about losing my connection at any moment, today I’d like to know, if you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?

I’d be back in midwestern Ireland with Meghan amid all that beer and history and gorgeous, eager Irish lads.

What about you?

29 Responses to “Where would you go right now?”

1. Klee October 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

I’d be in Florence with the Italian Amante who has been driving me crazy ( in a good way) with the letters he’s been writing me. Sigh. Those are some smokin’ hot letters.

2. mccxxiii October 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Having a sh***y day at work … I’d settle for being at RiRa in Arlington. :)

3. barbara October 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

On a cool, crisp autumn day? Out in the blue mountains of Eastern Oregon with my dad, my dog, and a shotgun looking for upland game. It was kind of our thing. I miss him most on days like today!

4. Denise Rehse Watson October 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

floating in the aquamarine loveliness of the lagoons of Bora Bora – happily in the moment, admiring the incredible beauty of that wet world as I snorkel for hours at a time – I swear I can feel the sun on my back as I type this, water temp the same as the air…

5. Captain Awkward October 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

I’m about to head into a Chicago winter, which naturally makes me want to be in the pool at Qunci Villas on Lombok Island drinking fresh watermelon juice and staring into the ocean.

6. misch October 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Not to be all smug, but I’m actually in Ireland, all the time actually, because I’m Irish and I live in Dublin. And I want to go to the pub too! It’s cold, windy & damp outside — coming into perfect pub & pint weather :) I don’t want to go anywhere exotic, October in Dublin is my favourite time of year. Instead, I’d like my best friend back from New Zealand so we could go for drinks together.

7. Whitney October 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Would it be seriously nauseating to say “Wherever my husband is?” Yeah, probably. So how about “Wherever my husband is, as long as he’s in southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore.”

8. ZaftigWendy October 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Right now? I’d be in New York with my buds, just having finished a big weekend at the NY Sheep & Wool Festival. I feel about wool the way Miss Plumcake feels about footballers thighs.

9. La Petite Acadienne October 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Hawaii or New Zealand would do nicely. Basically as far away from the cold Canadian winters as I can get.

10. Tiff October 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Ri Ra is a bar-in-a-box. Ireland’s Four Courts, just down Wilson Boulevard a few blocks, is a far superior example of the genre.

11. Jeni October 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

I am split between Scotland surrounded by large ginger rugby players (sans bf obviously) and Hawaii with my boyfriend.

12. Mel October 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

I want to be with my family spending a month in some place that has warm sunshine, cool breezes, good food and great shopping. Just so long as I’m with my family…

13. Lorna October 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

In Hot Springs, AR getting a full body massage, facial, and shopping with all the money I could handle with my boyfriend.

14. Heather the Tall and Auburn Tressed October 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

With my husband in old town Dubrovnik (Croatia) and popping over to Phuket. I’ve been both places, he’s been neither. I’d like to introduce him to the varied charms of each.

As for someplace I’ve yet to explore but think would be amazing? Portugal and Ireland.

15. Linda Mercury October 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

Istanbul. Or Paris. :)

16. Leah October 19, 2011 at 12:55 am #

Sitting on sandy MacDonald spit watching the Kachemak Bay waters roll on into the Gulf of Alaska with the three volcanos, Mt St Augustine, Mt Illiamna & Mt Redoubt looming across the bay. We’d be munching on fresh caught halibut (probably beer-battered with some salad & veg on the side) while the eagles sit just out of reach hoping for scraps, the sound of the waves almost drowning out the eagle’s cries, but not quite. A good fire is waiting in the fire pit at the crest of the spit so that s’mores & cold Alaskan beer will be properly consumed. That’s where my hubby & I would be right now. if you can’t tell, I REALLY wish I was there. =)

17. Missie Sue October 19, 2011 at 3:44 am #

Paris, with a thick down coat to keep me warm, and a train pass to take me to all of the cathedrals, museums, and bakeries.

18. Rebekka October 19, 2011 at 5:03 am #

I would hire a wet nurse and go to bed. OK, I wouldn’t, but…

I would go visit my sisters in California and show them their new niece.

19. Sarah October 19, 2011 at 6:23 am #

London. London. London. I swear it is my spiritual home.

20. Carol October 19, 2011 at 7:51 am #

I’d be in Ireland with you. We went last summer with two other couples and had a blast! I used to think I’d go for Florence hands down every time, but Killarney stole my heart. And it’s only a short ride down to Florence, so I could get the best of both worlds.

21. Cedar October 19, 2011 at 10:17 am #

Darjeeling. I dream of Darjeeling. I want to see the tallest mountains in the world and I want to eat Indian food for every meal, with the exception of traditional British teatime every afternoon. Bliss.

22. Janet October 19, 2011 at 11:14 am #

As corny as this may sound, and I am rarely, if never, Polly-Anna-esque, I am exactly where I want to be right now. 12 weeks ago I moved lock, stock, and barrel from the US to England to marry the man who has occupied my dreams for almost 10 years. Our wedding will take place on my 50th birthday, and I cannot imagine any where else that I would rather be than getting ready for this wonderful event. I had a dream and I am making it come true!

23. Leigh October 19, 2011 at 11:54 am #

I’d get on a cruise ship and not come home until I’d gone clear around the world. It might take a year.

24. Gryph October 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

I recently found a place that personifies my ideal home (it’s a little stone house! There’s a barn and a garden and an apple orchard!) so if I could go anywhere…it would be mine! And I would be there. Unfortunately it’s not for sale, and if it was, I wouldn’t have the money to buy it…but in my dreams!

25. Lilly Munster October 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

In a club in New Orleans, sipping a sazerac and listening to great music.

26. Ann October 19, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Ireland! And, I’ll be heading out to Cork City in a few weeks. I went to university there my junior year and I CAN’T wait to get back and visit friends (it’s been 13 years). AH, love!

27. Thea October 20, 2011 at 10:50 am #

@Janet, I love your response – and congratulations!

Been traveling and had recently had a loved once pass, so I’m happy to sit in Austin right now and enjoy the Canadian cold front and drink margaritas

28. ChloeMireille October 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Three places I’d rather be right now:

1. New Orleans
    2. London
    3. New York City

I feel an almost-spiritual attachment to all three of them, but in different ways.

29. Kimks October 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Right now, at this very moment with my baby girl who is in her first semester of college a million miles away ( not really- but literally the other side of the country.)Just to see her in her “new grown up life” that she is so excited to be in, and just to give her a hug and let her know how proud of her we are. She’s doing awesome at finding herself in this big ol world. I couldn’t be happier or prouder of her… It’s just, you know, that, I miss her…What’s this wet stuff on my cheeks??

After checking in on the kiddo, it would be poolside with my best friend and my husband, just hanging out and enjoying life whilst very toned and lovely people bring us drinks with umbrellas…. My best friend and my husband get along smashingly and I’d love to have some time with all of us just hanging out.

The lovely part of this is that in 2 weeks my best friend is joining me in Vegas while my husband is attending a conference. Pity- we will have poolside and drinks while the dude has to work….