The Big Question: Sophie’s Choice Edition | Manolo for the Big Girl

The Big Question: Sophie’s Choice Edition

Why, dear children, is this day different from all other days?

Because 78 glorious years ago today, the great and good people of this great nation ratified the lovely, lovely 21st Amendment which repealed the terrible, awful, no-good, very bad 18th Amendment, thus putting an end to Prohibition.

There’s a funny familial story about Prohibition that’s been floating around the Plumcake Family Mythology for nearly 80 years.

Once upon a time, in the faraway land of Yonkers, New York a young Salvation Army officer by the name of Miss Plumcake’s Nana discovered her fun-loving and all-around less stick-in-the-mud younger sister had snuck off to some speakeasy in the city and was dancing the night away. My Nana, who could out-damp even the soggiest of bed coverings, was outraged and her anger was not lessened when she discovered her one good dress –her Confirmation gown– was missing.

Grim but not stupid, Nana did the math, deduced her wicked sister and her heavenly dress were sharing the same airspace.

Nana marched right down to the speakeasy and proceeded to RIP the dress right off of her shameless sister, thus fulfilling her lifelong legacy of ruining everyone’s good time –well, except for the men at the speakeasy I suppose– and adding another chapter to the legend of Miss Plumcake’s family.

The moral of the story is this: Don’t anger a Plumcake woman. Also, if the last words you say to your devoted teenage great-granddaughter are “Have you always been that fat?”, you thereby give up your rights NOT to be talked about publicly and at great length.

Remember, an elephant never forgets.

In honor of the end of Prohibition, and the fact I’m going to have to whittle down my Scotch collection to 3 liters so I can take it across the Mexican border, I thought I’d ask a little booze-themed Big Question.

Today Miss Plumcake wants to know:

What one alcoholic beverage would you be unwilling to go the rest of your life without?

After much thoughtful deliberation, I’ve decided upon the humble yet sublime Talisker 18 year-old single malt Scotch. Talisker is the only Scotch made on the Isle of Skye and has in its golden soul the best of both the smokey peat of the Islay malts and the honeyed heather of a Speyside.

It’s not the most expensive or rarest Scotch I own, a bottle of Talisker 18 will set you back less than a hundred dollars, and there are other Scotches I prefer as specimens of one breed or another, but for pure overarching perfection, the Talisker is hard to beat, and, incidentally, is ridiculous (in the good way) on a hot buttered waffle.

19 Responses to “The Big Question: Sophie’s Choice Edition”

1. Jezebella December 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

I cannot imagine life without Guinness Stout. Draft, please.

2. cadpig December 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

English Harbour Dark Rum… Grown up candy in a bottle. I could possibly die from not having a drink at least once a week of this lovely stuff!

3. Thea December 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Bombay Sapphire gin

4. La Petite Acadienne December 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

I enjoy spirits, but am not emotionally attached to any of them. If booze were to be banned tomorrow, I think I would miss good dry red wine the most (Masi Campofiorin is a fave), followed by a nice white Trappist ale.

5. Leigh Ann December 5, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Red wine, definitely.

6. AnthroK8 December 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Good white wine. Something crisp and not too fruity. Maybe Austrian, or an Alsace.

I like whisky fine, but I would really miss great wine.

7. bookgirl December 5, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

Prosecco! I am not much of a drinker but I do love this stuff, it makes me feel like I am celebrating something and reminds me of dreamy Venice

8. ChaChaHeels December 6, 2011 at 6:46 am #

I’d miss good wine.

9. Carol December 6, 2011 at 8:38 am #

A good dry red, followed by some of Ireland’s best whiskey. Could live without them, don’t wanna…

10. Leah December 6, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Such a difficult choice!! A nice, bright tequila for sipping or mixing with fresh lime juice. Floral gin, ice cold with a twist. Crisp, dry white wine. Beers, ales, lagers, stouts….

It’s a good question, Plummy, and I have decided I don’t want to live in a world where there’s only one thing to drink.

But that’s no fun. I’ve decided for versatility and functionality that I will live out my end of days with vodka. It’s the LBD of booze.

11. Kimks December 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

This lead to a great conversation last night at Casa De Kimks- my hubby and I thought we knew each others answers- and we were wrong. At the end of the night we decided that he would take Jack Daniels and I would take a full bodied Zinfandel…

12. Cat December 6, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

I don’t drink, partly because I’m not allowed to mix booze with my RA meds so I couldn’t drink even if I wanted to, and partly because I have never, ever cared for the taste of alcohol. Also because I find drunk and even just slightly tipsy people skeevy with all of their word-slurring and glassy eyes and touchy-feeliness, and I don’t want them anywhere near me. So there is not a single alcoholic beverage that I would be unwilling to go the rest of my life without.

13. Linda Mercury December 6, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

Champagne! It goes with everything, and makes every occasion a party.

14. Lora December 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Kim Crawford 2010 Marlborough Savignon Blanc

15. Josie December 7, 2011 at 11:40 am #

I love Talisker too, even though the expert at the Oban distillery said that it’s was a ‘woman’s whisky’. Soft and gentle and smoky. Presumably men are supposed to be more hellfire and burning…

16. Astra December 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Bourbon. Current preference is Eagle Rare.

17. cedar December 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

I love a good bourbon, but to be honest the loss of beer would hurt most. To give up Scotch…no problem. To give up Scotch ale? Please don’t make me even contemplate the possibility.

18. Jessica December 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

I thought, and thought and thought about what I would be willing to give up…If I absolutely had to only have one kind of liquor for the rest of my life it would be vodka, Belvedre if I have to pick a brand. But honestly I think I would sadly have to move to Canada. Not that Canada isn’t perfectly nice, I hear tell it is, but I do like my home…

19. Christine December 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

Ah, my people are from the Isle of Skye but were far to cheap to buy their own product…whatever they could make in the still was fine.

I love Cristal champagne…