Technical Troubles

Okay campers, due to an unforeseen incident involving a large glass of water and a VERY UNWELCOME SCORPION IN MY BED, my laptop keyboard is no longer cooperating as much as I would like. Please bear with me, I will be back to our regularly scheduled judging as soon as possible.

8 Responses to “Technical Troubles”

1. Marsha December 19, 2011 at 7:43 am #

So, when you say “scorpion” you are not speaking metaphorically?

Hm. Yes. Well, take comfort that, if it were me, the spilled glass of water would have been the *least* of the destruction. You were a model of restraint, in my opinion.

2. aa December 19, 2011 at 10:12 am #

This lends itself to the question: so you get welcome scorpions in your bed?

I remember checking my slippers when I got out of bed in my family’s country house in Estremadura, because scorpions like to hide in dark, wark nooks. Nasty little critters, they are.

3. Ellen W. December 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

If you had said “Because of a VUSIMB I have burned down Villa Plumcake” I would think that was a little much, but understandable. So anything short of an inferno is taking well to my mind.

4. Leigh Ann December 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Yikes. I hope it didn’t sting you. I got stung on the hand by one the end of July, and got a staph infection from it. (Apparently, scorpions can carry staph, which is something I did not previously know.) Now, five months, four doctors, and four kinds of antibiotics later, I’m finally nearly over it. I live in terror of one day actually finding one in my BED. I can understand an accident involving water, laptop, and I assume, a startled shriek.

5. Ravna December 20, 2011 at 5:06 am #

Are you alright?
    I can only imagine the shock in finding an altogether very unwelcome guest on the bed, how did it even get on the bed?
    My initial reaction was asking if you were burning the sheets right now, but that’s just me and my fear of anything from the arachnid family. (okay I would no burn the sheets, just wash them thoroughly)

6. Cat December 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

Yikes, Leigh Ann! I did not know that, either. I was stung by a scorpion when I was in high school, in maybe the most spectacular possible way. I slipped while descending a flight of stairs, flew through the air and landed in a heap at the bottom, on top of a (probably very surprised) scorpion, which stung me on the back of my leg.

Plummie, I hope you made short work of that scorpion.

7. Leigh Ann December 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

Oh, no, Cat! That’s dramatic, and unfortunate! I put a book down on the stairs to take up later, and when I picked it up the scorpion had crawled up on the book. I put my hand right down on top of it.

8. Cat December 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

@Leigh Ann: Argh, stupid scorpion. My cat once saved me from a similar fate. He hissed at me when I reached down to straighten the rug, so I took a closer look and saw that he had cornered a scorpion. Good kitty!

I am so sorry you got such a nasty infection from being stung, but glad to hear you are finally on the mend.