Honey, where’s the…?

Well, I’ve been left on my own for more than 24 hours for the first time in 2012,  and apparently I’ve turned into my grandfather because now I’m just one of those people who stands in the middle of the house in her underwear looking for things.

One of the manifold splendors of living alone is when you put something somewhere, it stays put.

So if I put my teal suede d’Orsays in the oven after a Grace Jones night in mid-spring with the intention of letting them sit unmolested in their glittery glory until suede came back in season in the fall, that’s where they’ll stay.

Now I just stand flapping helplessly while Hot Latin Boy –who commandeered all Putting Away of Things after I proved chronically incapable of remembering not everyone can reach the top shelf– patiently explains that the dog shampoo is in a box marked gloves behind the yellow wok, next to my 2007 tax return. Well, obviously.

I’m determined to go through all the cabinets and drawers and make an inventory of each one in my little green notebook, so next time I need to locate my spare bottle of OPI’s You Don’t Know Jacques, my trusty notebook will tell me it’s in the Twinings Transport Bus, along side an empty Nuva Ring box, Dozer’s heart worm pills and my passport.

So that’s what I’m doing this weekend. Well that and I managed to get the last copy of the September issue of Vogue –the only issue of American Vogue I ever read– so I’ll be working on my upper body strength by hurling it against a wall repeatedly.

Next week I’ve got a review on Eloquii (hint: get some of their camisoles with a quickness), my favorite dance shoe for the fat of foot and a few more goodies.

What’s on your plate this weekend?

12 Responses to “Honey, where’s the…?”

1. Margo A August 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

I feel your pain, having recently moved with someone who feels that the key to garage organization is that all boxes must be arranged so that like sizes are together, with no wasted space. Ascertaining that the labels on said boxes be facing outwards is of far lesser, even negligible, importance.

2. Roberta August 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Now that my son has a FT job and has moved to Rhode Island, I am the Boss of Me and in theory know where everything is. I also am hunkering down this weekend with the September Issue, but also plan to visit the Bucktown Art Fair and buy another pair of earrings from a particular vendor. Chasing the end of summer!

3. txbunny August 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

What am I doing this weekend? Why I’m trying to *finally* get over West Nile Virus. Thanks for asking….

4. txbunny August 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

BTW, I love the shoes with an dear and profound longing.

5. Ellen W. August 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

I too love those shoes, but I’m sorry, “Corinne” they are not. “Rio” “Santa Catarina” etc. yes. In those I would make the Samba Finals!

By the way- looking up the names of Brazilian candies will make the rest of the day go by much, much slower.

6. catrandom August 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Driving home to visit my folks in L.A. and see a couple of movies with my dad. He and I have had a custom for years of seeing dumb, noisy action movies together, so up this weekend: the new Bourne movie and (woohoo!) Expendables 2.

7. Thea August 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

@Txbunny – do you need soup? or shall we set the back yard on fire (again) and call the hot firemen?

8. Jen209 August 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

Working tomorrow, which is no good. But on Sunday I’m going to a gospel brunch. Two questions: do we think I get extra points with God for going to gospel brunch after church? And should I wear a hat to gospel brunch? I feel like its the perfect place for a hat.

9. BJ August 25, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Working, then gearing up the wherewithal to complete the Great Crap Sweep. I’ve already swill-canned four garbage bags of clothes that don’t fit/have holes in them/I hate (and always have, my family simply does not know how to buy clothes for each other), aged groceries, non-working appliances, and other miscellaney.

10. Txbunny August 27, 2012 at 1:43 am #

@ Thea – You have brilliant ideas as always but alas there is enough mulch in the backyard to cause the whole neighborhood to go up in flames. Although last year’s fireman were handsome specimens….

11. Astra August 28, 2012 at 10:21 am #

I am going to Austin to visit my MIL. Yes, Austin in August is insane but given what the ragweed is doing to me at home, I think it’s a push.

12. Jezebella August 28, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

I am hunkered down in the path of TS Isaac with smokes, chocolate, bourbon, and the September Issue my own self. Hopefully this weekend I will be in New Orleans partying in the streets for Southern Decadence (think gay Mardi Gras, as if Mardi Gras isn’t gay enough), and hopefully will NOT be sweltering in an electricity-free post-hurricane South Mississippi heat wave.