Sincerely yours, Inigo Montoya

To: Eloquii, misnamed hosiery division
From: Miss Plumcake, Editor, Manolo for the Big Girl, Owner of a Dictionary
Re: “Super Opaque” Tights

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

alas, my search for top-quality truly opaque opaque tights that fit continues.

15 Responses to “Sincerely yours, Inigo Montoya”

1. Karen August 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

I presume you’ve tried the Berkshire tights? They are my fave—- so comfortable and the tights are def opaque.

2. Madame Suggia August 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

Try these.

3. Bethany August 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

I wore them almost every day through fall and winter last year, and I had no problems with runs or holes. Order 2-3 sizes up.

4. RB August 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Have you checked out We Love Colors? Bonus: 50 color choices to achieve whatever level of garishness suits you best. http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/PlusSizedNylonLycraSolidColorTights.htm#

5. Melissa August 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

I’m going to second RB’s comment – We Love Colors has truly opaque tights in lots of glorious colors, and their size charts are much more big-girl-friendly than many plus-size retailers (looking at you, Lane Bryant/Cacique, Torrid, etc.)

6. barbara August 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

I’ve had good luck with the Spanx tight-end tights; they’re a little spendy, but hold up well. I also wear leggings with tall boots as tights. Very opaque!

7. Erin August 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Have you tried Hue? Of course I can’t say how well they’d fit you, but they are truly opaque and a pair lasts me about two years of being worn every week or two all winter long.

8. cadpig August 30, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Donna Karan opaques are awesome… and you can mend them. They only go to size 14 though :(

9. Ali August 31, 2012 at 12:14 am #

Maybe an unexpected choice but Just My Size makes very, very opaque tights. Not sure about the fit for you – they fit my big butt, big thighs and small but long waist very well. I am not as tall as you but I am 5.8 and they actually bunch a bit by the ankles after I wear them for a while – so I guess I am not tall enough for them?

10. Leigh Ann August 31, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I like the Spanx Tight End tights too. They’re expensive, but they last. I have two pairs that have lasted three winters, and I wear them weekly during cold weather. They’re very opaque.

11. @R August 31, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Have you tried Land’s End? I’ve heard great reports on their durability, they go up to 3X, and look fairly opaque in their model shots.

12. Suzanne August 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

My Lands End tights have held up over several years and are opaque. I also recommend We Love Colors for colored tights

13. Emmie August 31, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

I’ll 4th (or 5th) the rec. for We Love Colors.

14. Jamie September 1, 2012 at 7:10 am #

I love my Silks Super Opaque Tights.

15. Rebekka September 6, 2012 at 8:09 am #

There is nothing better than Wolford Velvet de Luxe 66 deniers. Soft, comfortable, matt – absolutely perfect tights! I’ve used them for 10 years and haven’t found a match. Sizes XS-XXL.