Oh Sandy

I’m writing this on Monday afternoon. Hurricane Sandy is supposed to make landfall a bit north of us in a few hours and the leaves that had fallen prettily over the past week are now a matted wet carpet, beaten down by the constant rain. I suspect we’ll lose electricity tonight or tomorrow and I’m surprisingly fine with that. It’s not that cold, and historically my friend’s place doesn’t lose water or gas when the grid goes down.

When we lose electricity at Plumcake Cottage –which can happen during such traumatic weather events as a pelican landing on the roof– we lose everything. Never in my life did I expect to say “Sweetheart, go to the ocean and get a bucket of water. We need to be able to flush.” but there you have it. Tropical glamor: redefined.

Speaking of redefinition, I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask your opinion on Olivia Newton John’s career-defining character, Sandy Olsen in Surrender Your Identity To Garner Male Approval: The Musical, I mean Grease!

As you might be able to tell, I am not a fan. I mean I love Stockard Channing and pencil skirts as much if not more than the next girl, but even as a stupid teenager I remember being forced to sing Grease medleys and thinking “Is this a good idea? I really don’t think this is a good idea. Is this a good idea?” but I seemed to be the only one.

Okay, the wind is picking up and this copy of Kinky Boots isn’t going to watch itself. Stay safe, gang.

9 Responses to “Oh Sandy”

1. Mimi October 30, 2012 at 11:44 am #

All I remember watching that final scene with my 10 year old buddha belly is that a stomach that flat cannot be humanly possible.

2. Sarah Fowler October 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

I had this conversation with my roommate just the other day! I always thought the end of Grease was HORRIBLE. She said “But he changes too!” and I thought… No. No, he does not. It’s just awful.

3. Rebekka October 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Always hated. As an adult I scoff at the final scene.

4. erin711 October 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I was totally obsessed with Grease back in the day. Had the album and forced my family to watch it whenever it came on TV (before the days of internet and dvds.) Seriously, I wanted to be Sandy and have my haircut just like hers. I realize NOW how demeaning it is, but good gosh, have you seen John Travolta in that? HOTNESS

5. Rubygirl October 30, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

I have always hated Grease…for so many reasons. Ugh. I hope you weathered Sandy in comfort and style!

6. lucy October 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Everyone hates Grease but I LOVE Kinky Boots. Watching that or Chocolat (Judi Dench playing a french woman who speaks with a Middle Atlantic accent!) for my self-care today. :)

7. dani October 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Yes! Yes! Oh my God YES! I’ve always hated that movie/musical/overglorified monster for that very reason! I thought I was the only one!

8. Thea October 31, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I always wanted to be Stockard Channing and rock a pencil skirt and a knowing grin but the whole virgin/whore thing made me queasy even as a teenager

9. O.C. November 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

I always thought Grease was kind of crude and tacky. I’ve seen interviews about the original play, and apparently it was even MORE crude and tacky. When they’re dancing around, singing “Greased Lightning” and they have unexplained rolls of saran wrap? Apparently that was because there was a joke in the original play about using saran wrap as a condom. EEEEEEEWWWWW.