And just so you will know…

I don’t remember much about 2007, the year that Manolo for the Big Girl opened its virtual gates, so I certainly don’t recall what I wrote in my application to be one of two fearsome editrixes for The Manolo’s new plus-size project. I do remember my entry was late since a friend sent me the cattle call (as it were) week after the deadline passed. I also remember (spoiler alert) that I got it.

On my first entry I wrote:

The great thing about being the biggest gal in the room is that you can be the BIGGEST gal in the room: the fiercest, the most fabulous, the most confident. With a big attitude you can work looks that would overwhelm our slender sisters and make drag queens want to pull your hair from sheer glam envy.

Now as Manolo for the Big Girl, along with the rest of the Manolosphere, prepares to hang up our heels and close shop forever, I stand by that statement.

When I got the news on Friday, I was too jetlagged to say anything but “well, it was a good run.”

And it was, but it was also something else.

It was the chance to be the voice I wish I’d had when I was but a young fatling, trying to eke out an ounce of self-confidence, and a drop of glamor in an unfriendly world.

I thank you for that. I thank you for every comment (well, almost every comment) every email, every linkback and “you’ve gotta read this” message.

Most of all I thank you for the community. MftBG wasn’t a pretty blog, it didn’t fit nicely into any one category. I was never interested in being part of some fat blog clique or kowtowing to advertisers, but you stuck with me, with one of the smartest, funniest comments sections I’ve had the pleasure to read.

So what to do now?

Well, I don’t know about the rest of the gang, but I’m going to keep working on my book, enjoying life in Mexico and because old habits die hard, writing at my new blog, After Plumcake.

It won’t be the same as the big girl blog, there comes a time when even I have run out of things to say about pretty shoes and being fat, but it will have some of the same flavor, plus a broader range of topics, possibly shirtless footballers and if the past two days are any indication, way more f-bombs.

I hope you’ll join me there.

31 Responses to “And just so you will know…”

1. marvel December 10, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Devastation and heartbreak. The Manolosphere has been a daily blogstop for me since discovering The Manolo in 2006. It’s like discovering your favorite neighbors on the street are moving to Australia (if you live in the U.S. If you live in Australia, reverse the image.)

All the best to all of you–I’ll find you at your new bloggy homes…

2. Jane2 December 10, 2012 at 9:08 am #

This is such a great blog…thanks to you and Twistie. And yay, you’re going to continue to blog! Heading over….

3. evilsciencechick December 10, 2012 at 9:17 am #

So sad :( I will happily stalk you at your other blog, though!

4. Jen Anderson December 10, 2012 at 11:10 am #

And thank you for the shopping tips and the African Black Soap (which I’m turning all my friends onto). See you at the new blog.

5. klee December 10, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Thank you for a fabulous blog, we will miss you desperately

6. Julie December 10, 2012 at 11:47 am #

How did I miss this announcement?!

7. RB December 10, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Aw, man. This and Manolo For the Beauty are two of my very favorite blogs. I will undoubtedly follow you over to your new blog, but I’m going to miss this atmosphere. Thank you so much for the time and love you’ve put into creating this wonderful blog!

8. Christy December 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I’m glad to see that you’ll be carrying on elsewhere.

9. Teteatete December 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

I had a terrible feeling this was going to happen soon. This has been a daily stop since 2007. I remember the first entries! And dear Francesca. I hope Twistie finds a new home, too.

You’re hands down my favorite blogger, Ms. Plumcake. I’ll follow you to the ends of the Internet!

10. Monica December 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Have already added “After Plumcake” to my blog reader. I cannot lose one of my favorite internet voices.

11. The Accidental Tangoiste December 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Aptly said, Marvel; although we hope that the change will bring only wonderful things to our friends, we will miss them greatly. I’ve enjoyed this blog very much–the ever-sharp writing, the fabulous fashion, and the bracing attitude at all times. I’m glad to hear that you’ll continue writing, Miss Plumcake, and I hope Ms. Twistie will too. Bon voyage, everyone!

12. Margaret December 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Wow, I feel like a friend is leaving. Putting After Plumcake in my reader.

Twistie, let us know if you will continue to write somewhere else please.

13. Bretta December 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Many, Many thanks for your clever, thoughtful, and wonderfully wicked writing!

14. Margo A December 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

What sad news. I’ll continue to follow at the new blog, but I’ll miss this one.

15. os December 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Oh, I’m so disappointed! Thank you, Miss Plumcake, for all your wonderful blogs!

16. os December 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

PS
    I mean blog posts….
    See? I’m all incoherent now!

17. Hollis December 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

I am not a big girl, and I have really enjoyed both you and this blog for several years.
    Good luck in all that you do, and keep on keeping fabulous on.

18. Kristin December 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Sad day. Another straight-size reader here who will definitely be clicking over to the new blog.

19. Lise in NJ December 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

I’ve been reading The Manolo since before he added the Big Girl space, it’s been a daily stop for years now. I have every expectation to love After Plumcake — if you were five foot nothing and skinny, you’d still be the biggest girl in the room.

20. JosieBellaBirdie December 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Oh no! What am I supposed to do now instead of working :(
    I wish both you and Twistie all the best. I know you will both be great at whatever you do

21. Kate K December 10, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

This breaks my heart a bit–so much of my acceptance of myself came with the help of this blog. (One really has to get over her insecurities before she can focus on attempting to be as fabulous as Plumcake.) I will continue reading at After Plumcake and I can’t wait to hear what is next for you Plummy!

22. Cat December 11, 2012 at 12:04 am #

**rends garments**

**weeps**

**bookmarks After Plumcake**

23. maryann December 11, 2012 at 12:04 am #

I’ve loved your blog since I discovered it a couple years ago. I’m looking forward to reading After Plumcake!

24. teteatete December 11, 2012 at 12:35 am #

I’ve been thinking about this during the day and it seems rather strange that the Manolo himself hasn’t chimed in here. Or made the first announcement on the main Shoe site. It’s been thin on the ground there for some time (even with Ms. Plumcake’s delightful posts), and I understand that it’s his decision to close-up shop, but it seems rather badly done in the grand scheme of things, which is not at all Plummy’s fault, just my two cents as a devoted reader.

25. teteatete December 11, 2012 at 12:49 am #

My apologies for the terrible run-on sentence.

26. joods December 11, 2012 at 1:58 am #

I’m shocked and saddened. Miss Plumcake and Twistie, you’ve both provided style, wit and wisdom that I’ll always appreciate and not soon forget.
    I’ve added Plummy’s “After Plumcake” to my favorites. Twistie, I hope you’ll continue blogging and let us know where we can find you. And when we can buy your book(s).
    So, to two of my favorite Big Girls, I thank you.
    Namaste,
    Judy

27. Miriam December 11, 2012 at 11:57 am #

I’m going to miss this so much, but so glad you are writing elsewhere. I think I’ve read every post since 2007, and now that I think of it, this is the only blog that has held my attention for five years!

28. Ellen W. December 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

I’m surprised at how sad this makes me. I will surely keep up with you both as best I can. I wish you all the best.

29. dcsurfergirl December 17, 2012 at 1:07 am #

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?!

I wish you and Twistie all the best. Now I’m checking out your new blog!

30. mywhimsey December 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Oh No! But many thanks for all the wonderful posts, recommendations and humor!

31. Sue December 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

The internet has lost one of its true stars. Farewell, Manolo –reading you has been an almost-daily habit for me for years, and I shall miss you terribly.

Heading over to After Plumcake now…